Daytime Kitchen: Vegetarian Spring Rolls w/ Asian Peanut Sauce
Christina Nifong is back with another delicious recipe
ROANOKE – Food Blogger, Christina Nifong, is back in the Daytime Kitchen cooking up some fresh Vegetarian Spring Rolls with an Asian Peanut Sauce.
Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Asian Peanut Sauce
Makes 12 rolls
• 1 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
• 1 8-ounce package of extra firm tofu
• 12 rice wrappers, medium sized (about 8-9 inches or 22
• 2 cups lettuce, Swiss chard, arugula or spinach, cleaned, destemmed
and coarsely chopped
• 1 cup sprouts
• 1 cup sliced radishes, shredded carrots or snow peas, or a
mix of all three
• 1/4 cup mint leaf ribbons and/or chopped chives
• 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
• Chopped nuts and extra herbs for garnish
1 Prepare the Asian Peanut Sauce (See recipe below.) Set
2 Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add butter or coconut oil. Slice block of tofu into rectangle-sized pieces. Once butter has melted, place sliced tofu in pan. Cook until golden brown on one side, then flip and cook until golden brown on other side. Remove from pan and cool. Slice tofu into thin strips and set aside.
3 Prepare greens, veggies and herbs then place them on counter in assembly-line.
4 Fill a large bowl with hot water. Dip one rice wrapper into the hot water for about 20 seconds to soften it. Set on counter. Line with 2-3 spoonfuls of greens then a pinch of sprouts, then two spoonfuls of veggies, then 2 strips of tofu, then a sprinkle of herbs. Do not overload or roll will fall apart. Spoon a little Asian Peanut Sauce on top, if desired.
5 Carefully fold top half of wrapper down over veggies, then carefully fold bottom half of wrapper up over veggies. Take left side of wrapper and pull tightly over veggies, tucking it in slightly. Then roll to the right until cannot roll any farther. The rice wrapper will stick to itself, creating a tidy package.
6 Set spring roll onto serving dish and repeat. Wrappers and veggies should run out about the same time. Scoop Asian Peanut Sauce into small bowl for dipping. Cut rolls in half for easier eating. Garnish with chopped peanuts and extra herbs.
7 If storing spring rolls to be eaten later, place in a 9×13 inch dish with space between each roll. If they touch one another, they may stick and then rip apart. Cover dish tightly.
Asian Peanut Sauce
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 cup all-natural peanut butter (the kind I use, I grind myself and is made
only of peanuts)
• 1/3 cup hot water
• 3 Tbsp. soy sauce (make sure yours is nothing more than fermented soy)
• 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• 3 Tbsp. sesame oil
• 1 Tbsp. honey (local if you can get it)
• crushed red pepper, to taste
• diced cilantro or basil or green onions, if desired
1 Place garlic in food processor to chop. Add peanut butter and water. Mix until well-combined.
2 Add soy sauce, vinegar, oil, honey and red pepper flakes. Pulse several times to mix well.
Remove from processor into bowl. Serve with Vegetarian Spring Rolls. You can also store in the fridge for a week.
Copyright 2017 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.