46ºF

Montvale house fire has rekindled

Family dog died in fire

MONTVALE, Va.UPDATE

The house fire in Montvale that killed a family dog has rekindled, according to the Chief of the Montvale Volunteer Fire Department.  

Crews are currently on the scene on Goose Creek Valley Road, according to Bedford County authorities.  

10 News will provide more details as they become available. 


A man managed to escape from a fire that killed a pet and destroyed a home in Bedford County. 

Crews worked all through the night to put out the flames at the home on Goose Creek Valley Road, near the One Faith Fellowship Church. 

The family's adult son was home and had to jump from the second floor to escape the fire. He did not have to be taken to the hospital.

He told 10 News that the smoke alarm was going off, but he initially thought it was because the batteries were dying. He stayed in bed for about 30 seconds before getting up to investigate. By that time, smoke was starting to fill the house. 

Authorities say that a dog died due to the fire. 

Credit: Sarah Tabor

Crews say the home was more than 100 years old, and that the family lost everything in the fire. 

Authorities are working to find a cause. 

If you would like to contribute to a gift card drive or send supplies to the family please direct them to:

The Byles Family 
P.O. Box 423 
Montvale VA 24122