ROANOKE, Va. – Two people have died after a house fire earlier this month in Southwest Roanoke, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
They died on Oct. 12, after being rescued from the fire on Oct. 6 in the 2200 block of Westover Avenue SW.
Due to privacy concerns, Roanoke Fire-EMS said their names are being withheld at this time.
The Roanoke Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the cause of the fire was accidental and electrical in nature.
The Roanoke Fire Chief David Hoback said that two children who lived there were woken up by the ringing of the smoke detector.
If you do not have a smoke detector in your home, Roanoke Fire-EMS can give you one for free.
UPDATE: October 6, 8:25 a.m.
Two people have life-threatening injuries after a fire in Southwest Roanoke on Wednesday morning, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
Crews were dispatched to the 2200 block of Westover Ave. SW just before 5:30 a.m.
Once crews arrived at the scene, they said they deemed it a two-alarm fire and more units were brought in.
Authorities said four people were rescued from the home and taken to local hospitals. Two pets were also rescued and one died, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
Two of the people who were rescued told crews that a smoke alarm woke them up.
The Roanoke Fire Marshal’s Office is currently investigating the fire.
Crews are on the scene of a fire in Southwest Roanoke.
Authorities said they received the call for the fire in the 2200 block of Westover Avenue just before 5:30 a.m.
10 News has a crew en route to the scene to learn more.