One dead after medical oxygen fire in Roanoke

Roanoke Fire and EMS says the fire started as a result of the victim smoking while on oxygen

WSLS (WSLS)

ROANOKE, Va, – Roanoke Fire and EMS said that one person is dead after a medical oxygen fire on Wednesday.

Crews responded to the tenth block of 12 1/2 Street Southwest in Roanoke for reports of someone who appeared dead due to a fire-related injury, according to authorities.

Recommended Videos



The release said that investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office and Roanoke Police Department determined that the fire started as a result of the victim smoking while on oxygen.

The Roanoke Fire and EMS said that no further information will be released, and added a reminder that patients who are on oxygen should not smoke.

A previous version of this story said crews responded to 10 1/2 Street Southwest due to incorrect information provided by the Roanoke Fire and EMS.


About the Author

Alli Graham came aboard the digital team as an evening digital content producer in June 2022.

Recommended Videos