WYTHEVILLE, Va. – UPDATE
The cause of a Wytheville home explosion that sent a man to the hospital has been determined, according to the Wytheville Fire and Rescue Department.
On Dec. 1 around 4:20 p.m., crews responded to the 500 block of Holston Road for the report of a home explosion, according to Chief Christopher Slemp.
When crews got to the scene, they found ‘catastrophic’ damage to a mobile home from the explosion, authorities said. There was also a small fire in the back part of the home, as we previously reported.
We’re told the man was trying to operate a wall heating appliance when the explosion happened from a propane gas leak.
The man was able to escape the house and was sent to a nearby hospital for treatment of his injuries. Crews said he is expected to make a full recovery.
No further information about damages to the household or surrounding buildings was available.
A man was sent to the hospital after an explosion at a Wytheville home Friday evening, according to the Wytheville Fire and Rescue Department.
The Wythe County 911 Center received the alert of the explosion in the 500 block of Holston Road around 4:20 p.m., according to Chief Christopher Slemp.
When crews got to the scene, they found there was ‘catastrophic’ damage to a mobile home from the explosion, authorities said. There was also a small fire in the back part of the home.
We’re told a man was able to escape and was found outside. He was treated for his injuries and was sent to a nearby hospital.
No one else was inside the home, crews said.
Several surrounding structures were damaged by flying debris, according to the department.
The Wytheville Fire Department has requested Virginia State Police to help determine the origin and cause of the explosion.
Crews from the Wytheville Fire and Rescue Department, Max Meadows Fire Department, Wythe County Emergency Services, and the Wytheville Police Department responded to the incident, authorities said.