28ºF

Washing machine leads to Bedford County house fire

photo
(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

BEDFORD COUNTY (WSLS 10)-- Investigators say a washing machine sparked an electrical fire at a home in the Huddleston area of Bedford County on Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 6300 block of Bishop's Creek Road just before 3:30 p.m. Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the attic when they arrived.

Crews from Huddleston, Moneta, Saunders and Bedford were able to get the fire under control in about 45 minutes.

No one was home at the time of the fire and no one was hurt. Two adults and several children have been displaced and are staying with friends.

Investigators say the electrical fire was associated with a washing machine that was left running about 90 minutes before the fire was reported.