Good dog! Sammy the dog saves 5 people from house fire in Georgia

(KCRA News)

Good dog!

Sammy the dog alerted five people to a house fire that broke out in Savannah, Georgia, around 1 a.m. Friday.

Recommended Videos

According to KCRA, Her barking woke up her owners, which allowed the five people inside escape to safety.

Sadly, two cats and another dog were unable to get out and did not survive the fire.

“Firefighters tried but were unable to revive them,” fire officials said in a statement.

Officials said it’s important to have smoke alarms on every level of your home.

“I would encourage everyone this time of the year to make sure their smoke detectors are working at all times but smoke detectors are a vital part of making sure you are able to get out of the structure in time,” said Ira Harper, Savannah Fire Battalion Chief.

Officials believe the fire at the two-story home was caused by a deep freezer.

Sammy, one of the household pets, alerted the 5 people inside to the fire raging at the rear of the home. They all escaped unharmed. Another dog and two cats did not survive. City of Savannah Government

Posted by Savannah Fire Rescue on Thursday, December 5, 2019

About the Author: