Southwest Virginia’s first coronavirus case, a Botetourt County woman, has died
She was the first confirmed case at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital as well
ROANOKE, Va. – A Botetourt County woman has died after contracting the coronavirus.
Helen Ronk, died Saturday while being treated at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, according to Delegate Sam Rasoul.
The Virginia Department of Health announced Sunday that a woman in her 80s residing in the Alleghany Health District died from the disease.
While VDH would not provide any more specifics in the announcement of this woman’s death, when her case was announced on March 19, officials announced the patient was a woman in her 80s from Botetourt County.
“Unfortunately those over 65 and those with underlying health conditions are at greater risk of serious complications from COVID-19,” said Dr. O’Dell. “Everyone, especially at-risk individuals, are strongly advised to take steps to minimize contact with others who are ill, practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible.”
In some patients, especially those at risk patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions, like diabetes, heart or lung disease or compromised immune systems.
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
· Stay home when you are sick;
· Avoid contact with sick people;
· Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
· If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
· Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
· Avoid crowds of more than 10 people.
Copyright 2020 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.