Deadly fire in northeast Roanoke caused by victim smoking while on oxygen, officials say

Fire left one dead, one hurt

Deadly fire sparked by person smoking while on oxygen
Deadly fire sparked by person smoking while on oxygen

ROANOKE, Va.UPDATE

Authorities have released the cause of a fire that left one person dead and another injured on Monday night in Roanoke.

The fire happened just before 6:45 p.m. in the 2500 block of Larchwood Street, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.

Authorities said the cause of the fire was deemed accidental and started as the result of the victim smoking while on oxygen.

The name of the victim will not be released until the medical examiner has made a positive identification, authorities said.


ORIGINAL STORY

One person is dead and another was taken to the hospital after a fire led to a small explosion in northeast Roanoke on Monday night.


About the Author: