Victims of private jet crash at Ingalls Field identified

The NTSB is continuing their investigation

Virginia State Police has released an update on a small, private jet crash in Bath County that left five people dead. (Virginia State Police)


According to Virginia State Police, the Virginia Office of the Medical Examiner has confirmed the identities of the victims of the plane crash at Ingalls Field Airport in Bath County on March 10.

Recommended Videos

The pilot was identified as Claudio Jose Alberto Colmenares Perez and the first officer was identified as Gagan Gupasandra Srinivas Reddy.

The passengers were identified as Alfredo Diaz, Kseniia Shanina, and a 3-year-old boy, Nicholas Diez.

We’re told the families have been notified and the NTSB is continuing their investigation.


On Wednesday, March 13, the Atlanta Air Recovery loaded up the wreckage of the plane and it will soon be brought back to Georgia. Once there, investigators will try and determine if there was any type of mechanical problem that contributed to the crash.

Representatives from the plane’s manufacturer were also on-site to aid in the investigation.


After a private plane crashed at Ingalls Field in Bath County, Va., the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has launched an investigation, according to Adam Gerhardt, senior air safety investigator, with the agency. The board is based in Washington, D.C.

“I would like to extend condolences those lost in the accident to their friends and family,” he said. “I’d like to thank the first responders who responded to this accident. Many appreciations there.”

The NTSB investigation should take 3-4 days, and a final report will be issued within 12-18 months. The agency intends to find out what happened.

“This process is to not only figure out what happened here, but hopefully why this accident happened to prevent future accidents,” Gerhardt said.

Investigators are currently searching the wreckage to find recording devices. No recording devices are required for this aircraft. “We’ll look at every factor of the complexities of landing at this airport,” Gerhardt said. “The investigation will look at the airplane, the engines, human factors, operational factors, the pilot qualifications and the weather environment, maintenance history of aircraft. We’ll be looking at all those factors.”

The pilots were cleared for an approach to Runway 25 at the Ingalls Field airport. There were two communications announcing intentions to land. The plane crashed, and the wreckage is located 200 feet from Runway 25.

“With the air traffic information we have right now, there’s no information to suggest there was an emergency that was declared by the flight crew. This was the destination airport based upon preliminary interviews, and the pilots announced their intentions to land here,” Gerhardt said.

The plane was registration N1125A, manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries, according to Gerhardt. It is a Westwind Astra aircraft.

Virginia State Police earlier released an update on the small, private jet crash in Bath County that left five people dead. They are currently working on notifying the family members.

The flight began in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and was scheduled to land at Ingalls Field Airport. Those aboard the plane were planning to attend an event at the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, Virginia, according to the plane owner’s attorney and family friend.

Police said the airplane crashed at 3 p.m. Sunday into a wooded area near the 6200 block of Airport Rd. Jeff Ford, chairman of the Bath County Airport Authority told 10 News that there was an emergency on board, prompting the plane to land at Ingalls before it crashed and was fully engulfed in flames.

Police said of the five deaths, one was the pilot, another was the first officer, and the three others were passengers, a man, a woman and a young boy, age 3 years old.

At this time, it is unclear whether or not wind was a factor in the crash. “The wind was at 2.80, 19 gusting to 38 knots. Visibility was 10 statute miles,” Gerhardt said.

The Bath County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police, Hot Springs Fire and Rescue, Falling Springs Fire and Rescue, and Clifton Forge Fire and Rescue were dispatched to the scene.

We’re told Virginia State Police, the Federal Aviation Administration, and NTSB investigations will continue.

The remains have been sent to the Virginia Office of the Medical Examiner, Western District for positive identification, authorities said.

The airport is now closed.

We’ll continue to update this breaking news article as we learn more.

About the Authors

Lauren Helkowski joined WSLS 10’s digital team in August 2022, but has held a passion for storytelling long before.

Recommended Videos