'Are you harming her or setting me up for murder?' Missing girl's parents chatted before calling 911
Andrew Terry's two-day jury trial began Wednesday morning in Montgomery County
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. – Wednesday marked the beginning of a scheduled two-day jury trial for a Blacksburg man accused of concealing the body of his missing 3-month-old daughter.
Andrew Terry was indicted in January in connection with the disappearance of Arieanna Day on Sept. 11, 2018.
He previously admitted to burying the baby near Jennelle Road after he picked her up bruised and barely alive from her mother's house in Roanoke, according to prosecutors.
During Wednesday's opening statements, the defense argued that Terry's two confessions don't mean he is automatically guilty. Because Arieanna's body is still missing, the defense argued there are other possibilities for what could've happened.
The defense said this includes Jessica Day, Arieanna's mom, saying she sold the baby or an adoption agency stealing the baby.
The morning session of Wednesday's trial saw four witnesses called by the prosecution:
The biggest takeaways from witness testimony so far include:
What's still to come in court on Thursday:
- The answer to the question, where is Arieanna's body now.
Court reconvenes at 9 a.m. Thursday.
10 News has extensively covered all aspects of this case since we first learned of Arieanna's disappearance last year.
- September 12, 2018 -Search underway for missing Roanoke 3-month-old girl
- September 13, 2018 - Roanoke police: 'Realistic possibility' 3-month-old Roanoke girl is dead
- September 14, 2018 - Search continues for missing Roanoke 3-month-old girl
- September 18, 2018 - Authorities holding informational checkpoint to locate body of missing 3-month-old girl
- September 26, 2018 - Warrants show police looking at cellphone records of relative in missing baby case
- October 11, 2018 - One month later, few answers in case of missing Roanoke baby
- October 25, 2018 - Father told police he hid body of 3-month-old Roanoke baby, court testimony reveals
- November 16, 2018 - Roanoke police partner with forensic expert in search for Arieanna Day
- January 09, 2019 - Blacksburg man indicted on charge of hiding body of his 3-month-old daughter
- March 13, 2019 - Trial pushed back for Blacksburg man who says he hid body of his baby daughter
- May 29, 2019 - Trial date set for Blacksburg man charged with hiding body of his 3-month-old daughter
- September 11, 2019 - One year since Roanoke 3-month-old disappeared, father to go on trial later this month
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.