Police believe new search of Andrew Terry’s cellphone will ‘produce vital information’
On Sept. 26, Andrew Terry’s case ended in a mistrial, leaving him a free man
ROANOKE, Va. – More than a month after the case of a Blacksburg man charged with concealing the body of his 3-month-old daughter ended in a mistrial, police are asking to search for more evidence.
The Roanoke Police Department is requesting an additional search on Andrew Terry’s cellphone using “updated cellular forensic technology,” according to a search warrant filed on Nov. 13, 2019.
The warrant goes on to say that police believe a new search of the phone with this new technology “will produce vital information as to the location in which the body of (A.R.D 5/29/2018) was placed.”
Terry previously admitted to burying the baby near Jennelle Road after he picked her up bruised and barely alive from her mother’s house in Roanoke, according to prosecutors.
On Sept. 26, Terry’s case ended in a mistrial, leaving him a free man.
At the time of the mistrial, Mary Pettitt, Montgomery County Commonwealth’s Attorney, issued this statement.
It was important to pursue justice for Arieanna particularly when there was a confession to the crime. I know Roanoke City will continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death. We will evaluate the case and determine if we will retry the defendant.
Terry’s daughter, Arieanna Day disappeared on Sept. 11, 2018, and her body still has not been found.
At the time Day went missing an Amber Alert was issued for her.
10 News has extensively covered all aspects of this case since we first learned of Arieanna’s disappearance last year:
- September 12, 2018 -Search underway for missing Roanoke 3-month-old girl
- September 13, 2018 - Roanoke police: 'Realistic possibility' 3-month-old Roanoke girl is dead
- September 14, 2018 - Search continues for missing Roanoke 3-month-old girl
- September 18, 2018 - Authorities holding informational checkpoint to locate body of missing 3-month-old girl
- September 26, 2018 - Warrants show police looking at cellphone records of relative in missing baby case
- October 11, 2018 - One month later, few answers in case of missing Roanoke baby
- October 25, 2018 - Father told police he hid body of 3-month-old Roanoke baby, court testimony reveals
- November 16, 2018 - Roanoke police partner with forensic expert in search for Arieanna Day
- January 09, 2019 - Blacksburg man indicted on charge of hiding body of his 3-month-old daughter
- March 13, 2019 - Trial pushed back for Blacksburg man who says he hid body of his baby daughter
- May 29, 2019 - Trial date set for Blacksburg man charged with hiding body of his 3-month-old daughter
- September 11, 2019 - One year since Roanoke 3-month-old disappeared, father to go on trial later this month
- September 25, 2019 - ‘Are you harming her or setting me up for murder?’ Missing girl’s parents chatted before calling 911
- September 26, 2019 - Judge calls case a ‘hot mess,’ Andrew Terry trial results in a mistrial
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.