Food for Frontline helping frontline workers, local restaurants
ROANOKE, Va. – Thanks to your donations WSLS 10 helping the hard-working doctors and nurses, law enforcement officers and other frontline employees in our communities, as well as local restaurants that are struggling.
Your provided $30,230 from 331 donations!
Money we’ve received as part of our Food For Frontline campaign will go to buying meals from area restaurants that will be delivered to different groups of frontline workers.
Thanks to your donations, we’ve been able to feed a variety of frontline workers:
- Roanoke Fire-EMS employees received food from Farmburguesa on April 22
- Employees in Carilion Clinic’s Environmental Services Department received food from CoreLife on April 24
- Food Lion employees at the North Main Street store in Blacksburg received food from Sharkey’s on April 28
- Professional truck drivers who stopped at White’s Travel Center received food from Subway on April 29
- Staff at the FedEx ship center in Roanoke received food from Veranda Bistro on April 30
- Valley Metro employees in Roanoke received food from Cabo Fish Taco on May 1
- Members of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office received food from Rocky Mount Burger Company on May 5
- Lewis Gale OR staff received food from R.T. Smith’s Fine Deli on May 6
- Feeding Southwest Virginia staff received food from Canale’s Ham and BBQ on May 7
- Towers Kroger employees received food from Grace’s Place on May 8
- Bonsack Walmart employees received food from Rodeo Chico on May 11
- Salem VA Medical Center employees received food from Jersey Lily’s on May 12
- Kindred at Home employees received food from Remini’s on May 13
- Roanoke County Public Schools nutrition employees received food from Leonore Restaurant on May 14
- Central Health employees in Lynchburg received food from Macado’s on May 15
- Bedford Police Department employees received food from My Way Bakery on May 18
- Botetourt County Fire & EMS workers received food from Three Li’l Pigs on May 19
- Sovah Health employees in Danville received food from Checkered Pig on May 20
- Friendship Retirement Community employees received food from Three Notch’d Brewery on May 21
- Stonewall Jackson Hospital employees received food from Brew Ridge Taps on May 22
- God’s Pit Crew received food from Joe & Mimma’s on May 25
- Salem first responders received food from Schaal’s Catering on May 26
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies received food from The Farmhouse on May 27
- The Roanoke City Police Department received food from Sal’s Italian Restaurant on May 28.
“Let’s support our amazing first responders who are on the frontlines, working to keep us safe, while at the same time supporting our local restaurants.” said WSLS Vice President and General Manager Jaimie Leon. “It may seem like a small thing, but it is a meaningful gesture of support and appreciation for their role and dedication during this unprecedented event.”
This wouldn’t be possible without all of your generous donations!
We don’t want to forget those who have chosen to privately give money either, so thank you too!
The Food For Frontline effort will accomplish three things:
1. Solicit: We have heard from so many in our community that are eager to contribute in some way. This is a chance to give back to those that are working so hard to save the lives of people in our community. These heroes without capes are putting their lives at risk while they work long shifts. Let’s feed them.
2. Serve: We will then partner with local restaurants to order meals that will be distributed to those on the frontline. Our hope is this partnership will assist local restaurants and their staff. Participating restaurants uphold high standards in food preparation always and now during this COVID-19 epidemic. Meals for the frontline workers will be individually packaged.
3. Support: Our collective efforts will show those on the frontline – hospital and healthcare workers, emergency responders or staff keeping our store’s shelves stocked that we are thinking of them and appreciate all that they are doing.
We plan to continue distributing food through the end of the month. Thanks to your donations, we have enough funding to make that happen.
Copyright 2020 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.